Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Caring for kids

This week starts a new semester for me in nursing school. The last 32 weeks focused on the care of adults, medicaitons, nursing careplans, and so on. This 8 weeks focuses on caring for children...something that freaks me out so much. You'd figure it wouldn't bother me so much being a mom of a child already, but it does. I don't like to see my own child sick, and I hated seeing sick kids/babies come in through the ER when I worked there. I know kids get sick, some kids get very very very sick, but it doesn't alleviate the fear of caring for one. My goal of being a careflight nurse includes caring for children, and I hope I don't freeze when I have to take care of a child who is a trauma victim.

Many people say "I don't know how you do it...I can't be a nurse. I can't see blood/clean up stool, care for elderly" blah blah blah. I don't mind caring for adults. But I am scared of caring for children.

Next Tuesday I will start caring for children at Nationwide Children's Hospital...doing careplans, giving medications...taking care of wee ones. I just hope all goes ok.

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com